Wendy's North America Franchising General Information
Wendy's - A Cut Above
It’s an exciting time to join and grow with The Wendy’s Company. Dave Thomas opened the first Wendy’s® restaurant in 1969 and we continue to follow his sound principles to ensure we build upon our position as a quality leader in the Quick Service Restaurant (“QSR”) industry.
Wendy’s strength is due to our:
- Commitment to quality and our innovative, evolving product line
- Brand transformation through bold, contemporary Image Activation restaurant designs and improved customer service
- Impactful advertising and digital marketing
- Strong, experienced leadership team
- Experienced franchise community including our high energy “Next Generation” of franchisees
- Community involvement through our support of the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption® that strives to find loving homes for children in the foster care system.
Wendy's is actively pursuing prospective franchisees who:
- Are interested in pursuing multi-unit opportunities through the acquisition of existing restaurants or the development of new restaurants
- Are multi-unit operators who have extensive restaurant experience (preferably quick service) with proven leadership skills
- Are committed to operational excellence, customer service and a strong willingness to learn and practice the Wendy's business model
- Demonstrate exceptional managerial and business acumen
- Are committed to the advancement and growth of their business
- Have access to adequate capital for reinvestment in Wendy’s Image Activation program and new restaurant development.
Fees and Estimated Costs
- Application Fee – $5,000
- Background Check Fee – $325 per person
- Technical Assistance Fee – $40,000 per restaurant (franchise fee – for a 20 year term)
- Royalties – 4% of gross sales
- National advertising – 3.5% of gross sales
- Local advertising – 0.5% of gross sales
- Initial investment (for development of new restaurants) – There are many factors that influence the development costs for a new restaurant including, but not limited to: the cost of real estate, building size and design features, local labor and building supplies, permitting, etc. The estimated total investment required to begin operation of a new restaurant normally ranges from $2,000,000 to $3,500,000.
One component of Wendy’s overall growth strategy is non-traditional development. Qualified franchisees can develop restaurants in special venues such as:
- College and University campuses
- Highway travel plazas
- Military bases
- Office buildings
- Entertainment venues
These high-visibility, high-traffic locations offer convenient access to our customers and may be an attractive investment opportunity for franchisees. Developers of the various venues understand that adding Wendy’s to their location provides a diverse menu with a variety of freshly made, great-tasting food.
Wendy’s non-traditional development team provides support and experience to franchisees pursuing non-traditional opportunities, including prototype restaurant elevations and layouts, kitchen equipment designs, and assistance with project proposals.
If you are interested in discussing non-traditional development you may contact us at:
Franchisees receive on-going direct support from our skilled operators at the field level. We strive for A-level operations at every restaurant and provide the tools, resources and training to achieve superior customer service levels while maintaining restaurant level profit margins.
Initial and on-going manager and crew level training programs focus on what is needed to provide Wendy’s “A Cut Above” total customer experience as well as providing management training on various business skills.
We engage in multiple national media platforms throughout the year combined with local field marketing programs to provide a balanced marketing strategy that supports your market’s needs.
Engineering & Real Estate
Varying levels from coaching to ‘hands on’ support options are available from our professional real estate and engineering teams who can assist with restaurant development including site selection, site layout, designs and initial and on-going construction services.
Supply Chain Co-op
As a franchisee you will become a member of the Wendy’s independent Quality Supply Chain Cooperative who works with leading suppliers to provide Wendy’s restaurants with products and services that offer quality, consistency and value.
The quality assurance department ensures that Wendy’s maintains a high level of food safety and quality standards through a rigorous on-going product and restaurant inspection process.
Wendy’s seeks to provide an innovative customer experience through the use of the latest technology such as digital services and mobile ordering/ payment options as well as assistance for the franchisee with ordering and reporting programs through a restaurant back office system.
A highly dedicated franchise team fosters strong relationships working closely with franchisees on the administrative side of various contract matters such as the development of new restaurants, reimaging of existing restaurants, renewals, contract compliance and financial issues.
The government relations team identifies issues of importance to Wendy’s and then works to communicate our point of view to Members of Congress and other government officials to ensure our issues are clearly understood. Wendy’s PAC (Political Action Committee) is among one on the largest and most active in our industry.
Franchise Advisory Council
Wendy’s senior leadership team values their relationship with the Franchise Advisory Council, elected by the franchisees, working closely with them on new initiatives as well as addressing concerns from the franchise community.
Prospective Franchise Questionnaire
If you are interested in pursuing Wendy's franchise opportunities and meet our minimum criteria, please complete and submit Wendy’s Prospective Franchise Questionnaire below. This is a preliminary questionnaire only. A Prospective Franchise Application will be required if Wendy’s and the applicant agree to continue discussing franchise opportunities. The questionnaire or application is not to be construed as an offer of a franchise, a commitment or a binding agreement on either party.
Depending upon our review, and the existence of potential opportunities, we will provide additional information about Wendy's, including Wendy's Franchise Disclosure Document (“FDD”) and a Prospective Franchise Application.
You may submit additional information and any questions to Wendy's Franchise Development Department at:
The Wendy’s Company
Attn: Franchise Development Department
One Dave Thomas Blvd.
Dublin, OH 43017
We look forward to hearing from you.
The information on this website does not constitute an offer to you, but is provided for information purposes only. If Wendy’s or an existing franchisee makes an offer to sell you a Wendy’s restaurant, you should review the information in conjunction with the current Franchise Disclosure Document (“FDD”).